I just came across some notes I took at this year’s orientation for Mid-Career MSIMers. “The Question” came up, as it inevitably does in these kinds of gatherings: What is information management? Here are a few snippets I pulled from the answers back in September.
- “The answer needs to be crafted to the person asking the question.” – Mike Crandall
- “It depends; who are you creating value for? It depends on what YOU want to do with it.” – Mario Sanchez
- “Information management is a bridge between users and technical implementers, between aspiration and reality, between what’s unrealized and what’s possible.” -Unknown
- “We focus on the critical social, psychological, human side of organization systems.” – Bob Mason
- “We’re in the communications business, and our tools are processes as well as technology. We manage the ecology of information.” – Bob Larsen
- “I achieve results efficiently.” – Jason Robertson
Originally posted at MSIM 2011